Raymond James is a well-known financial services company focused in investment banking, asset management and financial planning. The firm has more than 6,200 financial advisors around the globe, managing approximately $450 billion worth of assets. With a market capitalization of more than $5 billion, Raymond James generated more than $3.9 billion in revenues for the 2012 fiscal year and has racked up 100 straight quarters of profitability.
Raymond James (RJ) came to DPR in October 2010 with a solid reputation among many financial advisors and investors. Yet, primarily since it’s based in St. Petersburg, Florida—one thousand miles away from Wall Street—many considered RJ as a “regional brokerage firm.” As a result, it sought a more unique identity and also wanted to be known as a stable and reliable top-caliber firm, detached from the problems of Wall Street and the financial markets as a whole.
DPR is managing and implementing a strategic media relations campaign focused on building and enhancing Raymond James’ brand reputation on a national level.
Additional goals of the program are to:
- Position RJ as a leader in equity research.
- Establish the company’s CEO, Paul Reilly, as an influential and authoritative leader in the financial industry.
- Position the company’s investment banking and fixed income executives as thought-leaders.
The focal point of the campaign is securing ongoing publicity in top-tier print and broadcast financial outlets—Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Barron’s and Financial Times, among others on the print side, and CNBC, Bloomberg and Fox Business for broadcast.
DPR pursues several key tactics:
- One-on-one broadcast interviews focused on stock, fixed-income and sector analysis, economic commentary, M&A activity and IPO market trends.
- Top-tier print opportunities focused on key financial market issues and trends in various sectors and industries.
- Media tours and in-person meetings in New York with top financial reporters, editors and producers.
- Message development and interview coaching for RJ’s extensive roster of executives and spokespeople, many of who had limited previous media experience.
DPR has placed more than 20 different Raymond James spokespeople in top-tier media since the program’s inception. Highlights:
- CNBC’s Closing Bell and host Maria Bartiromo broadcast live from Raymond James’ institutional trading floor in December 2011.
- Fox Business News’ Liz Clayman broadcast live from the company’s headquarters for two hours in April 2013.
- Raymond James spokespeople appear 10 times per month, on average, on CNBC, Bloomberg, and Fox Business.
- Raymond James spokespeople are quoted 25 times per month, on average, in Barron’s, Forbes and The Wall Street Journal, among many other top-tier outlets.